Temple of Set Ref
The Temple of Set is today's leading religious and philosophical initiatory
organization of the left hand path. (At least we think it is.)
- The Temple of Set is a philosophical organization. Its activities revolve around the philosophies represented by the ancient Egyptian principle of Xeper (roughly translated as "self-improvement" or "self-creation"), and the ideals represented by our
modern understanding of Set, once called a god by the ancient Egyptians.
- The Temple of Set is an initiatory organization, dedicated to the growth and development
of its members. We recognize several levels or degrees of initiation, and identify our members by their degree. This helps our
members recognize and work with their relative peers. It also helps our less experienced members
identify the more senior initiates when they have difficult questions with which they need help.
- The Temple of Set is a religion, incorporated in and
recognized as a religion by the state of California and the federal government of the U.S.A. Its
priesthood represents not only the Temple and its organization, but they also represent the being
we call Set. We are an unusual religion in several ways:
- We have no permanent building or church, believing that each of our members can
follow the religion on their own, wherever they happen to be.
- We do not "worship" Set (or anything else) as most religions would use that word, nor
do we worship any god as conventional religions use that terms. Set, whose name likely has the
ultimate meaning of "Initiation," causes change in the Universe by the simple fact of his Being. In
seeking our self-change and betterment, we put into motion those changes in the world that are
Set's Work in the world of mankind. Our bond with Set, is one of self-interest. As a religion we
believe in Set and work with Set, but do so more as if he were a father, elder brother, or close
friend, rather than a god as defined by most religions. (Whether we call him a god or not depends
upon our individual views and definitions of just what a "god" is.)
- We don't require religious belief of our junior members. The philosophy of Xeper and
the process of initiation are more important to us than the religion.
- The term "left hand path" suggests a philosophical orientation which feels that the individual is extremely important. The individual initiate pursuing Xeper is more important than our society in general, any peer group, and any organization (including even the Temple of Set itself). Responsible individualism and freedom are goals to which the organization lends its energies.
Note: To reduce clutter on these pages, most links, political statements,
and miscellaneous graphics have been moved to Balanone's Site
Copyright: All items on Balanone's site
are copyright unless otherwise noted. The copyright owner is clearly identified
in the HTML header of each item. Except where noted, reproduction of these
materials in any way, shape, or form without the copyright owner's permission
is not allowed. This material is not to be posted on any hosting service
which attempts to grant to themselves the right to use posted materials,
or to reproduce them for any purpose other than backups and the facilitation
of the display of the intended web pages.
Webmaster email to Balanone: firstname.lastname@example.org